METROPOLIS Board of Directors Meeting
Representatives from the following METROPOLIS members participated: Île-de-France, Barcelona, Johannesburg, Guangzhou, Berlin, Brussels, Montreal, Sao Paulo (state), Sao Paulo (city), Abidjan, Mexico City, Mashhad, Seoul, Santiago de Chile Metropolitan Region, Istanbul, Chengdu, Quito, Buenos Aires, Dakar, and Porto Alegre.
Also in attendance were Alain Le Saux, METROPOLIS Secretary-General; Felip Roca, candidate for Secretary-General; the Treasurer Jean-Luc Vanraes, and Marina Klemenciewicz on behalf of the International Women Network. Also in attendance were representatives from UCLG, Deloitte, and FMDV.
Out of the main decisions taken by the Board of Directors, we may highlight the following:
- Approval of the Minutes of the 2014 Board of Directors Meeting (Hyderabad).
- Ratification of Felip Roca as the new Secretary-General of METROPOLIS as from 1 October 2015.
- Approval of the Activities Report (August 2014 - March 2015).
- Approval of the cities of San Salvador and Ramallah as new members of the Association.
- Approval of the report on the implementation of the 2014 budget.
- Approval of the creation and of the composition of the Finance Committee as part of the Executive Committee.
- Approval of the implementation of the amended 2015 budget, and extension of the planning for the 2016 budget to December.
- Approval of the inclusion of METROPOLIS in the UCLG taskforce on risk management, led by the CUF (United Cities of France).
- Approval of the process led by the Co-Presidency of Berlin, Michael Müller, and the working dynamics proposed in relation to the METROPOLIS contribution project.
- Approval of the mandate of the mayor of Montreal, Denis Coderre, as the METROPOLIS representative for Climate Change and COP21.
- METROPOLIS supports the organization of the 2nd World Assembly of Local Authorities, and approves the proposed METROPOLIS Declaration read out by the President at this meeting.
- Approval of the mandate of the Mayor of Johannesburg, Mpho Parks Tau, as representative of METROPOLIS for Basic Services and Social Inclusion.
- Mandate to the Secretary-General to find a city to host the METROPOLIS Annual Meeting in 2016.
- Approval to organize the XII World METROPOLIS Congress in Montreal in 2017, on the grounds that it is the city where METROPOLIS was created in 1985 and it hosted the Congress in 1993.
In addition, the METROPOLIS Board of Directors officially welcomed the new Secretary-General, Felip Roca, who officially takes office as from the fourth quarter of 2015, when the current Secretary-General, Alain Le Saux, steps down. Roca will be the fifth Secretary-General, coinciding with the 30th anniversary of the Association, which faces the future with numerous challenges at an international level, the administration of over 140 member cities, as well as facing new governance within the Association, amongst others.